Homes for Sale in Groton Long Point
Groton Long Point was originally known as the Groton Long Point Farm, a part of the huge farm acreage owned by Governor John Winthrop, which extended from the Poquonock River to Palmer’s Cove. On September 3, 1894, Groton Long Point was sold to a syndicate of local businessmen who planned to develop the property into a summer colony. The only building on the Groton Long Point Farm in 1894 was the Abbe farmhouse, known today as “The Farmhouse Inn”, located at 24 East Shore Ave. In the same year, the Groton Long Point Land Company was formed and began selling parcels at G.L.P.
The population of the town is dramatically larger during the summer months, as nearly every property is occupied by its owners or by summer tenants; the number of people also increases dramatically on summer weekends compared to summer weekdays. The Groton Long Point Yacht Club is a cross between a traditional yacht club and a summer camp, as it runs many classes for children. These include swimming, sailing, sports, and tennis lessons. The Yacht Club also organizes evening events such as dances, movies, and scavenger hunts for children; events are also organized for adults and families, including concerts at nearby Esker Point, dances, and fireworks.